Thursday, April 2, 2009

Getting ready for Sunday

I haven't written in a while because I've been geting ready for the Lonestar Triathlon Festival. This will be my first triathlon. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was super nervous. I feel like I should be in pretty good shape for the race. I've chosen a Quarter Ironman as the distance for my first race. The thing that's making me the most nervous is that I keep seeing this race as an indicator of how well everything after will go. I've set for myself some pretty lofty goals and this will be the first time I take a visible and quantifiable step towards that goal. I sort of feel like if things don't go well or I struggle in this event it will be a harbinger of things to come. I guess that could go both ways, good or bad. I'm trying to tell myself that there will be progress and setbacks alike on this journey and this weekend will no more and no less. It's easier said than done however.

So overall I'm feeling pretty good about this weekend. I finally got in an open water swim on Tuesday and I'm grateful for that. I wish I had done a little more running but that's my strogest field so the extra time swimming should pay off. I have two more things to buy at Lane 4 swim shop on my lunch break then pack. I'm also in charge of tunes for the trip to Houston. So, I'll pack tonight since we're leaving right after work tomorrow. I have a packing list with 112 items for the race. That does not include clothes to wear on the other days. I've got a checklist and a spreadsheet so I should be all set. In the words of Alton Brown: "Organization will set you free." So tonight I'll get packed and make a playlist, have dinner and try to get some rest. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. 112 items to bring to your first tri. Wow, Joe. I love it. Did you remember safety pins!? How about a towel to put your gear on in transition area? Did you remember a head band and hair clips? Oh wait yea that's on my list. LOL!!! Dude you're going to do great and your first tri is just a starting point it does not and will not set anything in stone. If anything you will just learn a lot, have a lot of fun and take that knowledge and run with it. This first tri should be about you simply experiencing the joy of this sport for the first time. Go into it with that on your mind. "I'm going to enjoy this!" And let yourself do so. Because you will. You've done the work, now it's time to have some fun!!!! (NOTE: Please remind me to have fun and of this comment when I'm tweaking out before getting into the water of Galveston Bay) ~M

    ReplyDelete